NEWS ALERT

NEWS UPDATE : Asian Cricket Third Sri Lanka-Pakistan ODI abandoned due to rain COLOMBO: The third One-day International between Sri Lanka and Pakistan was abandoned due to rain here at the R Premadasa Stadium on Wednesday. The umpires made this decision after consulting ... Australia want to master all forms of game: Clarke SYDNEY: Australia's limited-overs tour of England and Ireland represents the start of a two-year campaign to make them the top nation in all three forms of the game, captain Michael Clarke said ... Bopara glad to be back for England SOUTHAMPTON, England: Ravi Bopara is eager to make up for lost times as he tries to revive his ... South Africa name unchanged squad for England series JOHANNESBURG: South Africa have kept faith with a winning formula by naming an unchanged squad for the three-Test series in England starting next month, Cricket South Africa (CSA) announced on ...


Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Mendis has more tricks

Sri Lanka's new Twenty20 hero Ajantha Mendis has revealed he is grooming a new weapon to add to his already flourishing spin artillery.Mendis spun his nation to victory over Australia by eight runs on Monday, with the first six-wicket haul in the game's shortest format.But the 26-year-old - who bowls both off- and leg-spin - warned the world's batsmen that he is developing another delivery, coming to the international scene soon."I am developing a new ball but I haven't still tried it. Hopefully it will come out soon," Mendis said."I am very pleased to know that my effort is a world record. I didn't realise it was one. I really enjoyed what I did today (Monday) and I am sure that it will give me confidence."I just wanted to bowl a good line and length and that worked off. The wicket also helped me a lot.Mendis admitted, somewhat ironically, that his aim was to reduce Australia's run-rate, rather than cut through their order, when his captain Tillakaratne Dilshan threw him the ball in Pallekele on Monday."I didn't want to give too many runs. We were trying to limit the runs more than pick up wickets. We had a plan and we bowled according to that plan," he said."I mixed up my deliveries and I thought the catch Angelo Mathews helped take changed the complexion of the game."Mathews had earlier helped dismiss Australian opener David Warner for Mendis' second wicket by catching him on the boundary, but knowing he was about to step over the rope, he threw the ball to team-mate Mahela Jayawardene to complete the catch, and save six runs at the same time.In other Sri Lankan news, paceman Lasith Malinga will miss their opening one-day international against Australia on Wednesday in Pallekele, as he continues to recover from a back injury.Chariman of selectors Duleep Mendis said Malinga will be considered for the remaining four ODIs in the series, with the second match scheduled for Sunday in Hambantota.